Monday, January 23, 2012

Mission Impossible!

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. St. Francis of Assisi

It certainly 'feels' like the impossible when it comes to Liam + walking. This kid just DOES NOT WANT TO MOVE! It's easy for me to shrug my shoulders and say, "I don't get it", but really, I do. Liam has no frame of reference, no real understanding of space and his surroundings - except for me 'telling him' - that I'm 'walking' to the kitchen, the living room, daddy's lazyboy, daycare, he really has no idea what I'm doing. Maybe he can feel the bumpiness while he's in my arms of me walking, but really, they are merely words to Liam. He doesn't have the visual understanding that people walk, kids walk, babies walk. That there are many different rooms in a house, that there is a ceiling above us keeping out the elements. That we walk to get to a destination, to find something we need, to get to the car, to go to the fridge. For Liam, his entire world, quite literally, ends at the tips of his fingers. If he can't feel it, it simply doesn't exist. Sometimes this concept overwhelms me, when I drive late at night and all you can see is whatever direction your headlights point, that gives me some sort of 'look' into Liam's world. All I can see is just a few feet in front of me. I can't see beside me or behind me, it's a comforting feeling for me. I almost get a feeling of contentment and safety. It's just me in the car with my music.

The other night, Liam took his own hand and placed one finger in the palm of his opposite hand. The next thing I realize, Liam was actually reciting, "Round and Round the Garden Like a Teddy Bear" while doing the motions to himself! OMG I was beaming listening to him! Then he started singing, "Frere Jacques"! His words are still something only a mother (or dad or his teacher Amra) could understand, but still, it was a song - that he was singing - and knew EVERY word to!!!

Here's a picture of Liam taken this summer. All I can say is CUTEST PICTURE EVER! Love this little guy!

Liam, Summer 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment