Saturday, November 26, 2011

It's me mommy - the stalker

I often find myself 'stalking' Liam. I just sneak into his bedroom while he's sleeping and watch him, or sometimes even when he's awake. I just watch...observe...most times in amazement. He plays or sings, sits up or walks around. YES, I said WALKS AROUND! For months now (or more accurately, YEARS) we've been waiting for that monumental moment where Liam takes his first steps. He's been doing VERY well at daycare with Amra (his new one-on-one teacher who is AMAZING in every single way). Amra encourages him to use his walker for sometimes up to an hour a day! But try as I may, at home, Liam REFUSES to walk but instead crumbles himself into a lump on the floor, if we DARE to attempt to - god forbid - make him use his legs!

The other nite, I invited Dave on my 'stalking' excursion. We walked upstairs and could hear that Liam was awake. I turned on the light in his room to find him 'cruising' around his crib! He was smiling from ear to ear, singing away! We watched him walk, sit himself down and by using his crib rails, pull himself to a standing position.

Is this kid so intelligent that he's figured out, "...and all I have to do is cry, just a little, and mommy and daddy do EVERYTHING for me; including carry me, feed me AND, the ultimate coo, hold my sippy cup while I relax in their arms!!!" I think slowly but surely Dave and I are realizing that Liam CAN do it, but he CHOOSES not to.


Enjoying a summer swing, 2011 Like father like son -
Liam in daddy's lazyboy,
complete with remote control!
Liam providing
musical entertainment
at Johnny's Restaurant
during brunch
Backyard BBQ
with the family, Fall 2011

Liam's world, although the same as mine, is different. Sometimes while I 'stalk' him, I turn the light on and off to see how it will effect what he's doing. It doesn't...he keeps playing or walking or singing... The other day I witnessed my two older sons walking across the street from the neighbours. I noticed Brady had his eyes closed and Lukas was guiding him across the street. When they got home I asked them what they were doing. Lukas replied, "Brady was being blind and I was guiding him home - that's what I'm going to do for Liam". It made me realize that together, we all have a very 'bright' future. Ironic isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristina- this is Jessica from Thomas Marshall Does It All. Liam is just adorable!!! What a sweetie. I'm so glad you contacted me. APH is American Printing House for the Blind. Check out the early childhood link here for tons of good items for Liam.
    http://www.aph.org/products/recommended.html#early_childhood

    Here's the link for the lightbox.
    http://shop.aph.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_Mini-Lite%20Box_1-08661-00P_10001_11051

    We have the mini light box and it has held up pretty good for the year and a 1/2 we have had it.

    The APH is sort of expensive so you might be able to find something similar elsewhere for cheaper. But the APH does have some good items.

    I read through your blog and I feel the same way often. I think I am ok and then I get mad/sad that Tommy has to have things so hard. It's hard to accept because as he gets older there are new ways that you feel it and new people to explain it too. If I hear that poor boy one more time....ugh. I hate that. But our boys can be strong, healthy and independent if we teach them!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina and David, I am begging you, please contact the Muslim community in the GTA (or anywhere for that matter). Approach any mosque or community center, we will be happy to help. I donated, but my community can donate a lot more, and would be eager to. Please approach us asap, and if you need any help in doing so, you can contact me at ahsan.jafrri@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete