Monday, January 31, 2011

My new obsession

Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I have a little ‘crazy’ running through my veins. And no, not "Dexter Serial Killer Crazy", but a little "Hyperactive Kristina Crazy". And although I don’t accurately fit into the diagnosis OCD I do have somewhat of an obsessive or addictive personality. When I get something in my mind I just can’t let go! Mind you, I’m not the ‘tap the light switch 10 times before turning it on’, or the ‘scrub my hands clean until the skin breaks” type, but I do have some degree of obsessive compulsive tendencies. My latest obsession seems to be noticing, reading, learning, promoting, educating, meeting, befriending, and researching anything and everyone that in some way has any association with blindness, visual impairment, vision loss – whatever you want to call it.

Jose Feliciano (Singer/songwriter most known for his Christmas tune “feliz navidad”)
Ronnie Milsap (Country music singer)
singer Apl.de.ap (of Black Eyed Peas fame)
Peter Falk (aka: TV’s Columbo!)
Sammy Davis Jr (The Brat Pack)
And yes, closer to home, The greeter at my local Walmart


What do all these folks have in common? 

Varying degrees of visual impairment.

Liam with Aunty Karen, Summer 2010
For some reason I’ve become somewhat of a magnet for people’s ‘blind’ stories too. It’s as though they feel the need to share and say, “hey, I know someone who’s blind too, can we be friends now?” Although I make a joke of it, I do find it comforting that so many other people share their stories with me. Stories of men, woman and children living life, a FULL life, with varying degrees of vision loss. It’s becoming less of a big deal in our household that Liam has a significant vision loss. Or as Dave refers to it, “Liam’s little vision problem”. Ha ha! Hey we all have our coping mechanisms! Whatever works right?

No comments:

Post a Comment